Just like vitamins, minerals help your body grow, develop, and stay healthy.
Calcium, Iron, Potassium, Zinc are some of the minerals in our food.
1) Minerals help to build strong and healthy bones and teeth. (E.g. – Calcium)
2) Minerals help to carry oxygen throughout the body by forming ‘hemoglobin’ in red blood cells. (E.g. – Iron)
3) Minerals keep your muscles and nervous system working properly. (E.g. – potassium)
4) Minerals help your immune system, which is your body’s system for fighting off illnesses and infections. (E.g. – Zinc)
5) Minerals help with cell growth and helps heal wounds, such as cuts. (E.g. – Zinc)
Another name for fibre is ‘roughage’. Foods rich in fibre are called fibrous food. Foods with fibre are really good for you and your bowels. Fibre is found in plants and can’t be digested. So it helps clean out your intestines by moving bowel movements along.
Like food, water is also essential.
Our body needs water.
You can get enough water by drinking water, milk and other liquids and from our food.May 4, 2013