Papyrus was a plant grew well in the Nile delta (mouth of the river Nile).
1) To make paper
2) To make ropes
3) To make sandals
4) To make baskets
1) Workers gathered (collected) papyrus.
2) The outer case of the papyrus was peeled off and the inner core was cut into strips.
3) Papyrus strips were laid horizontally and vertically to make a page.
4) Cloth was put on the papyrus and beaten with a mallet (hammer).
5) The papyrus paper was rubbed smooth with a stone and scribes wrote on papyrus using reed pens.
1) Religious books
4) Magical spell
The book made of papyrus which Ancient Egyptians buried with the dead body was called the book of the dead.
Because the Egyptians believed that this book helped the person to have a new life after death.
The Ancient Egyptian writing system is called hieroglyphics.
Each letter of hieroglyphics is called a hieroglyph.
Hunefer was a scribe in Ancient Egypt.
1) Two women are shown in the picture.
2) One of them is Hunefer’s wife.
3) They are mourning the dead man.
4) There are four priests.
5) One is wearing a head of a jackal to make him look like Anubis, the god of funerals.
Old World dogtooth mammal that is active at night and closely related to the dog, but smaller than a wolf.
Rosetta stone is a black stone slab covered with two kinds of Egyptian writing and Greek.
2) Demotic script
The same thing written in Egyptian writing is also written in Greek.
In the British Museum in London
A French person called Jean Francois Champollion
When he was an 11 year boy
He broke the code of hieroglyphics and worked out the symbols for the letters ‘p’, ‘i’ and ‘o’.May 5, 2013