Pyramids are massive stone structures that have amazed people from ancient time to the present day.
Egyptian pyramids are the biggest pyramids in the world.
Pharaohs ordered to build Egyptian pyramids
1) Ancient Egyptians believed in life after death.
2) So pharaohs ordered to build pyramids to keep their dead bodies and belongings.
3) Therefore these pyramids were tombs of ancient Egyptian kings and queens.
They were built about 4500 years ago and it took many years to build just one pyramid.
1) They were built on the west bank of the Nile.
2) These pyramids are called the ‘pyramids of Giza’.
3) This area where pyramids were built is called the ‘valley of the dead’.
The Great Pyramid or the pyramid of Cheops is the largest and most famous pyramid.
1) The Pharaoh Khufu ordered to build The Great Pyramid.
2) It is about 147 metres high. That’s 50 stories high!
3) It took 20 years to build The Great Pyramid.
1) The Great Sphinx is a kind of a statue stands in front of all the pyramids in Giza.
2) It has the body of a lion and the head of a pharaoh.
1) Building a pyramid was a massive job.
2) Thousands of laborers had to work for years to build a pyramid.
3) They cut millions of huge stone blocks.
4) The ancient Egyptians did not have cranes or pulleys to help them lift these huge stones.
4) All their buildings were made using ramps, ropes, wooden rollers, levers and muscle power.
1) For this they used ramps (An inclined or slanted surface connecting two levels).
2) First they made sloping paths.
3) Then they dragged blocks of stone along them on sledges.